Re: ScanTesla700 - Now were playing with power :-)

Hi Malcolm,

The stupid MathCad will not label the axis with the text I want :-p I did "try"... I have not upgraded recently ;-)

OpenOffice has trouble with axis labels too... I might have to breakdown and load stupid Excel again.... At least the colors and all are pretty ;-))

Here is a nice DRSSTC primary bang chart it made though:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/StevesDRSSTCPriBangChart.gif

The time axis is a little messed up since it is in scientific notation... It goes from 0 to 500uS. I should have converted it... I am not too good at spreadsheets either :o) I note OpenOffice cost $500 LESS than the others though ;-)) I use it for most stuff now...

http://www.openoffice.org/

The blue line shows the input voltage powering up the primary capacitor voltage (purple) and then the driver turns off and takes the extra energy back to the buss storage caps as shown buy the red.

This is just playing with the waveforms.csv file in the spreadsheet program.

I did fix the "Vin" file header error in V7.01:

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/ScanTesla701.ZIP

http://drsstc.com/~terrell/modeling/ScanTeslaInstructions-700.pdf

I am very pleased with the program!! It now does everything I had ever hoped for when I started! Mark did send a nice model for primary resistance:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Gap_losses.pdf

I ordered that $135 "Spark Discharge" book I always wanted too ;-)))

BTW - The program thinks Steve's coil should be tuned for a primary inductance of 13.5uH and a coupling of 0.178... The streamer energy rise is a nice straight line there giving a very good rise time. The efficiency of the coil (Freau number) is max there too... It will be a little sensitive in that area, so a little fiddling is needed ;-)) Assuming the actual coil is nice enough to agree, the program seems to be able to find the optimal tuning and all like it was hoped. Speed does not seem to be a big problem at all since only a few of the parameters are typically scanned.

So far so good!!

Cheers,

        Terry