Re: Streamer models used with Terry's new program

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

There's a fair amount of detail in Bazelyan and Raizer's book "Spark Discharge" on suitable models for sparks

Argh! It all keeps coming back to this book! The uni library don't have it and it costs over £ 100 to buy. It sounds like a great book but it's SO expensive! I'll see if they'll let me do an inter-library loan request, and then get busy with the photocopier ;)
Does anyone here own or have access to a copy of "Spark Discharge"? I'm not trying to sponge off you, I'm just interested to know.
Steve Conner

Steve and all,

Although I've been monitoring the discussion with lots of interest, I really haven't had a chance to actively participate (been too busy finalizing details and materials for another Lichtenberg Figures run later this week). I have copies of "Spark Discharge" by Raizer and Bazelian/Bazelyan (ISBN 0849328683), and the other very hard to find classic, "Gas Discharge Physics" by Yuri Raizer (ISBN 3540194622).
If there any serious Tesla List researchers want to buy a copy of "Spark Discharge", I have two NEW copies available for $132 each plus $3.50 for domestic S&H (my cost).

Both titles are excellent and definitely well worth trying to obtain from your university library or (gulp) buying if you're really serious about this stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare copies of "Gas Discharge Physics". Gas discharge physics can be incredibly complex, and these books represent the state of the art while still being surprisingly readable (graduate/post graduate level).

However, since you also have access to the published literature (but not the books), you may want to do author searches for material by Y. P. Raizer, E. M. Bazelyan, I. Gallimberti, U. Ebert, E. Marode, P. Domensm, A. Beroual, etc. There's really quite a lot of very good material out there already that we should be able to build upon.

Unfortunately, you won't find anything approaching closed form equations or simple circuit models for leaders and streamer discharges - a simple RC circuit simply won't be sufficient now that the models for the rest of the system are getting considerably more sophisticated. But Steve, you really didn't expect the problem to be that simple did you? :^)

A distributed RC or RLC ladder model, possibly with active voltage or charge controlled switches (to reflect stepwise discharge propagation) may be the simplest meaningful model that could be cobbled up. Or perhaps a cellular automata model. Following are some papers that should prove useful - there are many, many more:

"A model for long air gap discharge using an equivalent electrical network", by Fofana, I.; Beroual, A. , Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, IEEE Transactions on [see also Electrical Insulation, IEEE Transactions on] , Volume: 3 Issue: 2 , April 1996

"A study of the mean charge consumption of long sparks in air as a function of the gap length and the impulse shape", T Reess, J Paillol, A Gibert and P Domens, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 31 No 14 (21 July 1998) 1712-1722

"Theoretical modeling of the development of the positive spark in long gaps", A Bondiou and I Gallimberti, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 27 No 6 (14 June 1994) 1252-1266

"A predictive model of the positive discharge in long air gaps under pure and oscillating impulse shapes", I Fofana and A Béroual, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 30 No 11 (7 June 1997) 1653-1667

"A simplified model for the simulation of positive-spark development in long air gaps", N Goelian, P Lalande, A Bondiou-Clergerie, G L Bacchiega, A Gazzani and I Gallimberti, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 30 No 17 (7 September 1997) 2441-2452

"Fundamental processes in long air gap discharges", I. Gallimberti, G. Bacchiega, Anne Bondiou-Clergerie and Philippe Lalande, Comptes Rendus Physique, Volume 3, Issue 10, December 2002, Pages 1335-1359

"Simulation of breakdown in air using cellular automata with streamer to leader transition", A L Kupershtokh, V Charalambakos, D Agoris and D I Karpov, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 34 No 6 (21 March 2001) 936-946

"Streamer Breakdown of Long Gas Gaps", N. L. Aleksandrov and E. M. Bazelyan, Plasma Physics Reports, Vol. 27, No. 12, 2001, pp. 1057­1078

Best regards,

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge magnetic fields,
Lichtenberg Figures ("Captured Lightning" in acrylic), & Out-of-Print