Re: High Voltage Experiments

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> We are thinking that secondary coils that tend to shock long after they are
> apparently discharged are seeing an "electret effect".

Electrets need heating in order to be "electr-rized."   I vote for ions.

Ah, I remember: Richard Hull of TBCOR did some experiments with this stuff.

> Coils coated with > insulators seem to really show this effect well. One can rub one's hands > all over the things or run a grounded wire all over them just to have them > recharge after a short time.

It's very difficult to take the surface charge off an insulator.  The
usual method is to bathe the insulator in air with + and - ions (with AC
driven needles, or with a radioactive rod), and let the surface charges
pull in just what they need to become neutral.  If the charges had already
buried themselves within the material, it takes awhile for neutralization
to complete.

Hey! Pranking possibilities!

If you coat a plastic bottle with negative ions, then fill it with, say, cola, if you wrap your hand around the bottle, when the liquid touches your mouth, POW. Hmmmm. Maybe I should have kept that idea secret.

Take a look at:

   The electric shampoo bottle problem
   http://www.esdjournal.com/static/shower/shower.html

(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website billb at amasci com http://amasci.com EE/programmer/sci-exhibits amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci