Re: Golka video: Ball Lightning in lab. WHAT?!!!!!

Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bill,
Well, the size of semi-hollow metal I saw was of enough size, as it was "frozen" at that condition, to tell me it was more in size than I would expect from the spark throw off. As you say, could be water effect. But Bib also saw these in welders mask and with extra heavy (dark) filters on another mask, so really, under those conditions, his eyes could not be overloading as the text you spoke of says.
They do spin like crazy and you can see a lot of vapor burn off in the clip. I also think that is aluminum you are looking at in the lower, near water, electrode. I just asked about that, yes base was aluminum, at one point moving bar was also, at another point moving bar was iron. But base electrode was always aluminum..
Regarding the usage of AC transformers, he had one monster, I see it here and my opinion is it is at least a 50 or 60 KVA core. I see about 4 turns about MCM 600 Here are some references to the Pre-battery data , maybe also post battery, in these papers.
GOLKA R.K. Laboratory-produced ball lightning. J. Geophys. Res. Vol. 99, p. 10,679-10,681, 1994.
GOLKA R.K. Laboratory-produced ball lightning. Proc. 9th Intern. Conf. on Atmospheric Electricity, St. Petersburg, Vol. 3. p. 854-856, 1992.
I also just asked about travel over surface other than water, he says water was easier to track them on, also movement was better on water, likely due to boundary layer effect.
The thing about banging such a load with AC, you just never know where you are in the AC wave form. As you do a short, is it halfway up crossover, is it at zero crossover, is it at the peak? I'm sure you've plugged in a power supply that was on and the transformer bang as it brings up the filter caps in a big one could be silent, semi-loud or a real loud hum until the caps charge.
Usually you don't care once the supply is on, you get the DC and move along.
But in a short like this, you can be any place on the wave form.
That is one reason, plus lots more bang current, the move was made to submarine batteries.
Large shunts were borrowed from MIT and the currents in the paper indicate what he had off the transformer. I don't have that paper here but he does in his office not far away. And the reference is above.
We have 24 volts worth of these (12 cells) wet charged and ready but they mostly run the UPS now (Many, Many days).
If your doing a thing on the east coast maybe you can come zap your own. We can access the 10,000 FPS MIT camera, already have exploding wire stuff (which really looks more like bridge view of stars at warp from enterprise).
Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 9:04 PM Subject: Re: Golka video: Ball Lightning in lab. WHAT?!!!!!

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> After working on this for some time, after the documentary, he does not
> feel this was ball lightning after all, because it would not go beyond > the
> point you saw.

If the large glowing spheres are real and not illusion, then there's
something very weird and unexplained going on here; far weirder than ion
flames in a microwave oven.  The weirdness might be the key to explaining
BL.  Or perhaps those spheres are not gas at all, but instead are
something more normal, like hollow metal bubbles which collapse and
deflate.

I'd be leery of dismissing the importance of "welding spatter"  unless I
was *sure* that it was illusion, or *sure* that it was nothing more
interesting than a hollow metal bubble.  If we cannot convert it into
baseball-sized BL, that doesn't mean much.  After all, maybe it's easily
converted to large BL, we just haven't figured out how.

> So, while there were grain sized surviving metals from the water, there
> were also metal cores with a further out skin also of metal with air or
> steam driven bubble holes on the surface, again tied together with slag.
> Maybe the cooling of air or steam or water froze these semi-hollow > objects
> in the state I viewed them.

That might be important.  On the other hand, if you drop some liquid
solder into water, the violent boinling gives it all kinds of weird
shapes.  Is the water the cause of the shapes?  What happens if the
glowing blobs roll around on a slab of ceramic or copper?

> These larger versions or stages may be what you refer to. Not BL after > all, though very neat to watch.

Yeah!

Even if it's not plasma, etc.  ...if it's *not* just an illusion, then the
books which insist "it's all in your retina" are wrong, and we should
write up a little article to debunk them.

> Bob had changed his view on
> this not being BL some time after the interview with further work but > did
> OK the release of the video to the archive because he feels one's > failures,
> even documented, should be as much of the records, as one's successful
> efforts. It may provide useful data to other researchers in the future.
> I would agree this effect should be better understood.

> I may get a sample and get you a digital picture of a very close up shot

Even better would be some video from *two* cameras at the same time, one
with a heavy ND filter and the other with a much lighter filter.   That
way we can check for "retina illusion."   If both cameras "see" a glowing
sphere with the same diamter regardless of brightness, then we know that
the diameter is genuine and not caused by retinal overspill.

Also, if the shadows of the glowing spheres were cast upon a
rear-projection screen and videotaped, then the bright glow would be out
of the picture, and we'd watch the actual profile of the opaque parts as
the spheres went through their changes.

> or > you can access an electric forklift battery bank and make your own, if > it > has enough current.

A high-amp transformer also produced the spheres? Any idea of the V and A? The junk store that's going out of business has some 5VAC 100Amp transformers.

(((((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty SCIENCE HOBBYIST website billb at amasci com http://amasci.com EE/programmer/sci-exhibits amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci