Do I have this right? (rotary gap)

Original poster: "Adam R." <arabraxas@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I just got a 3/16" piece of tungsten and am going to cut it down to 7" (I don't know yet how, maybe by a saw and then snapping?), but how much clearance can I have from the rod to the motor? 1/8"? or would it be better to go with 1/4"?

Also, concerning syncing the motor with the electrodes. Its an oriental brand motor at 1800 RPM and I have four electrodes. When testing it under a flourescent light, the "black lines" are approx. pointing towards the screw holes on the motor, this is where the electrodes should be, right? Why is this?

I understand how a sync gap works, but am struggling to applying it with the geometry of the setup I'm planning.