To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: Perfecting my final design...

Original poster: "Adam R." <arabraxas@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I'd like to go with a large cap but I just expanded it! I am using the CD caps (2000v .15uF) and have two strings of 15 for a .02uF cap bank total...it does not look like I can easily get some more of those caps (cheaply).

Here are the results of the spread sheet, the inductance is much higher than I thought.

Diameter of tubing 0.25
separation of turns 0.25
Number of turns per spiral 10
Radius inner turn 4
Separation of spirals 2
length     TOTAL 2.5
n            TOTAL 100
L            TOTAL 3003.5

Also, shouldn't the two spirals be wound in opposite directions so the magnetic field matches?

I'm worried working with the acrylic: I don't have special bits to drill with it or saw it so I hope when drilling it won't crack and its only 1/4" thick. To hold the copper tubing in I'm using PE cutting board strips. How can I bolt the PE down? I'm guessing just extand 1/8" nylon bolts on the strips.

The distances btw the two coils will be adjustable so I can experiment differing setups.

Even just using two layers of 5 turns (6 or even 6.5"dia center) of .25" Cu tubing spaced .25" apart (hopefully enough room to put 1/8" bolts?) sounds like it'd work (with the .02uF cap). I'm just worried about using thin bolts (1/8") but then that'd lower the risk of fracturing the acrylic. (However, the center holes for the secondary are 1/4")....so should I shoot for 5 turns? I might even be able to make a crappy mock setup and test it with my L meter.