Re: Perfecting my final design...

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 6/13/05 6:22:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

possible) and would like to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

Here are some specs: The secondary is 4"x18" (24.2mH), a .02uF cap bank,
15-60 NST, and a Terry Filter for protection.

of TC design of course, but not as much as there used to be, and not
really in the areas you mention for the most part anyway.

I have a question on the primary--I'm trying to make it high
quality/durable and compact. What I'm trying is something that I've seen
before and have been wanting to give it a go: a simple dual layer primary.
It will be 1/4" OD Cu tubing ten turns, each wound in opposite directions
(so 20 turns total, top and bottom layers). So each layer will be ABOUT
0.0306 mH. Does this all sound right? I'm worried I might build it and find
I need more inductance! Or am I making it overkill with two layers of TEN
turns? Because the total width of the base is 17"x17", I need to get the
size right (I have acrylic pieces and they are expensive... cannot mess
up!) My coupling to the secondary is about 1".

Gary Lau can probably give you some good advice here because he
uses such a two layer primary.

Second question is with the rotary spark gap. I'm making a simple propeller
gap using a cheap (ie low power) Oriental Brand motor. I'm pretty much
sticking to what is commonly done, but what length should the rod be? 6" or
7"? It's my intuition to go with the latter...

Gary also used a single rod of tungsten I think so he may have suggestions
too in that area.  It's true that a longer rod will give a better quenching be
be less jitter-prone in timing.

My website (theory, coils, toroids, links, etc.) is at:

    http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

Cheers,
John

Any other recommedations? I'd like to get this coil working very well and
not miss anything or screw something up.

Thanks for the help!