Re: metal spinning on DIY

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Mark Broker" <mbroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I was watching the Do It Yourself network last Saturday evening. The "Wood Turning Techniques" show last week was on metal spinning. Dave, the master turner, and his apprentice spun a small aluminum bowl, but I kept seeing toploads! :o)
Anyways, I thought I'd post a link to the website that revisits the show:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dwtt/episode/0,2046,DIY_19143_35239,00.html

Dave made it look exceptionally easy, though I'm sure there has been a whole lot of practice!

I have used this techinque to make balls and disks with rounded edges (toroids without hole): http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/spinning Not so difficult. I have used aluminum, copper and brass. I prefer brass, since I can solder the two halves, and it looks better than copper. But aluminum is easier to work.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz