Paralleling choke question

Original poster: "Robert Hanford" <pomnept@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
I recently purchased a pair of ganged variacs for Tesla use and will be paralleling them. I have a small 3Amp 120Volt Variac core that I am planning on using for this purpose. (I fried it myself!) After looking at Scot D.'s weblite article I have some questions. The recipe calls for winding one wire and then the other but in the picture it looks like they are wound side by side. This is a little confusing . Also, does the wire have to be solid and not stranded and if so,why? Any response appreciated- I tried to e-mail Scot but couldn't.
Thanks,
Robert Hanford