Re: Size DOES matter? Watts Limit, Polypancake coil

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I like the concept of a 'Watts Limit' of 3. I have not seen photo proof of longer although people have talked about up to 3.5 or so with overdriven coils at the limit of racing arcs. I don't know where the 5 came from and suspect urban legend or a lack of understanding of what a magnifier is and only counting the tertiary coil. Whether this is a true electric field limit or is simply related to insulation factors vs total voltage is unclear.
My TC reaches 3.0 which I attribute to a very high break rate of 1400BPS and oversized double toroids. (That pic is now number one on Google images search of 'Tesla coil').
What I am in the process of making is a polypancake coil under oil which will have much better insulation than a standard TC. This may allow the use of greater power input relatively and a serious testing of the 'Watts limit'.

Peter (Tesla Downunder)
http://tesladownunder.com

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>looks like that "brick wall" from the old days of
untuned-primary SSTCs has returned, except now the sparks are much
longer than before :-).
Well if what we are saying is true, the brick wall is a limit that any coil design will run into and the only way round it is to make the resonator and toroid bigger. I remember Malcolm Watts talking about it in the past so maybe we should call 3x your secondary length the "Watts Limit" or something ;) John Freau's famous research coils that set the efficiency benchmark had a "Watts Number" (=spark length/secondary length) of about 2.2.
Conner, Steve