Re: Teslas Ball Lightning

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

Were all entitled to our own opinion, and in the absence of reproducible lab evidence I can understand your argument. However, there are a number of flaws in the psychological explanation which I will attempt to highlight.

1) By 1977 there were no less than 82 academic papers on ball lightning. A lot of scientific interest for a so called psychological effect.

2) Globes have been reported to disappear with a loud bang behind a closed door.

3) Globes can pass behind objects disappearing from view and obscures those objects that it passes in front of.

4) There is a marked change in its angular diameter as it approaches from 2m to 50cm

5)  It can abruptly disappear, where as afterimages fade away.

In conclusion, efforts to classify ball lightning as an illusion represents an undesirable philosophy in science. This philosophy is the rejection of difficult problems in nature by denying the existence of phenomenon and its evidence, providing a physiological or psychological explanation.

I've never seen ball lightning, other than my spherical discharges, but as a true scientist, I can not deny its existence just because I cant see it.

Some more graphite particles:-

http://www.hackinghardware.com/tesla/graphite.jpg
http://www.hackinghardware.com/tesla/graphite1.jpg

Before the discovery of electron tunnelling stars could not exist because they were not hot enough to allow particles to overcome the electrostatic repulsion.

Thanks

Chris R