Re: Corona bottle cap and twin coils

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jared,

On 27 Jul 2005, at 11:06, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> From: Jared Dwarshuis and by proxy, Larry Morris
>
> You can make two half waves with one powering the other across the
> capacitors, or make a pair of 1.5 wave coils if they are slender
> solenoids. We have not tried grounding a pair of quarter waves and
> driving just one coil, although this should also work.

I have and it works just fine. In fact, just connecting the bases of
the driven and passive resonators together with no ground at all
works fine as the passive resonator becomes the "ground" for the
driven coil. The setup I did this with was a smallish tabletop one
running at about 30W and powered by a SMPS cap charger. Varying
toploads and topload sizes on the two resonators caused the node to
shift partially up one or the other resonator and often caused pri-
sec flashovers in the driven system. It didn't matter with that setup
and just added to the fun. I'd be wary about trying the ungrounded
setup with a NST though.

Malcolm