Re: DRSSTC efficiency experiment

Original poster: Jimmy Hynes <jphynes@xxxxxxxxx>

The fact about shorter busts being better is already known (Steve's tests removed any doubt), but the bit about break rate was interesting.

Your findings seemed to support what I noticed on my little DRSSTC, that the breakrate helps up to a certain point, and then is basically useless. My coil seemed to drop off at 150bps or so.

I'd be interested to see how it looks with more data points, to see how sharp the dropoff is. I'd also be curious to see how it works with other fixed on times, while varying bps and the DC supply, to see if the corner frequency is any different. It'd also be interesting to note the % increase in sparks from single shot to 'high' bps, and if it really does drop off with longer on times.

Now that I have a little coil to mess with, I'll do some of these tests in the near future too.

On 7/24/05, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Original poster: Steve Conner <<mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

I had a fun Saturday afternoon with my DRSSTC and my new wattmeter. I
found what I believe to be a few interesting things about how well
streamers grow with different breakrates and burst lengths.

<http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/experiment/>http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/drsstc/experiment/

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

(this was also posted to the TCBOUK mailing list)

Steve Conner