Re: Displacement current- is it real (was 7.1Hz)

Hi Terry

Maxwell's displacement current idea is rather unique in that it is probably not quite right, but very difficult to prove wrong. The equations simply works for all cases...

Why probably not quite right???? Any evidence to suggesst this??

Even our streamer models are totally dependent on them. In the case of a high voltage streamer, the displacement currents are perpendicular to the normal conduction currents so maybe they would be easier to look for there. A spark between two already charge spheres gets rid of the return current path problem.

I believe there is no return current problem with a single charged sphere hanging in space. The return current is the displacement current. As the charged object breaks out and conduction current bleeds out into space, there is a corresponding reduction in the voltage on the object. Hence, there is a dD/dt back to the object to keep things in balance (keeps Norton happy).

Gerry R.