RE: Streamer V/I evolution - Topics Moderator note

At 02:16 PM 7/20/2005, you wrote:

I will try to play with this too. My top voltage is monitored remotely, unlike your "dream system", so I really don't have numbers there but the waveforms should "look" right. My tiny sparks are also little...

That's the advantage of looking at frequencies, rather than absolute levels. The calibration of the probe doesn't make as much difference, and the difference in frequency would be quite small, so the frequency dependent aspect won't be as big a problem.

Take a coil resonant at 300 kHz, with a 50 pF total capacitance. Adding 5 pF for a streamer will only pull the apparent resonant frequency down by sqrt(50/55) to 286 kHz. Well.. maybe we CAN detect it.. I was thinking we'd need to measure very small changes (hertz, not kHz)

There's still the effect of the coupling to the primary, and, for that matter the lossyness. A bare primary rings down with a straight line, not an exponential, as I recall, because the loss element (spark gap) is nonlinear.