Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

Original poster: William Beaty <billb@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> This depends on how the capacitor changes. There is no loss if the
> capacitance changes instantaneously when the capacitor voltage is
> zero. If there is some charge in the capacitor, a decrease in the
> capacitance increases the energy.

Yep.  I was imagining changes that are slow and not in phase compared to
the resonant frequency.   That would just move the spectrum line around
but without changing it's height.

Any kind of syncronized changes would, depending on phase, either pump
energy in or suck it out of the resonator.

There's an interesting everyday version of just such a device: the "induction generator," using a common AC induction motor as a generator. All induction motors are of course generators when they're linked to the AC power grid. Conservation of energy requires that be true. But we can replace the AC power grid with a large capacitor. Tune the motor coils to around 60Hz then spin the rotor. Residual magnetism starts the process. Like a pendulum, the spinning rotor periodically kicks the LC resonator and a big sinewave voltage builds up:

  Easy to build induction generator
  http://www.qsl.net/ns8o/Induction_Generator.html

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci