Re: Forum

Hi,

This has come up a number of times...

There was an "advanced" list once (run like ours). But it seemed the really knowledgeable people on it were just "preaching to the choir" and interest fell off... It seems you need "new and old" folks to really keep things interesting...

We have the HV list and our local GNATs list, but post to those are rare unless something special pops up... The HV-list seems to hold its own fine.

There was once a good IRC chat, but one person ran that every night so it was always "there"... Unless someone is "always" there, it is just hard to get it going at any given time...

UseNet has Alt.Mad.Science I once suggested. But that went over like a lead balloon. No moderation, but it goes everywhere fast...

USA-TESLA has survived over the years:

Your on your own there ;-)))

The Yahoo group:

Does very well! Since the UK does not have a lot of HV transformers, they are really into solid state coils...

I also run an antibubble and thereminvision groups on yahoo. The problem with yahoo groups is yahoo's never ending adds and generally obnoxiousness... It is "painful" to deal with yahoo, and many groups have left there now that folks can do there own groups independently of anyone...

One recent web forum that has done really well is 4HV:

http://forum.4hv.org/
http://forum.4hv.org/index.php?board=7

"I" have never quite figured out how to "join" it, but many have. They have had a lot of DRSSTC stuff there.

A list serve, like ours, is fast efficient and easy to deal with. You just sort by subject and delete what you don't care about. You can scan through the mail quickly. Most people can figure out how to join and there are no great hurdles to being on or getting off the list.

One big factor is reliability. If it breaks, it can be fixed... Yahoo won't "can" use because we don't have enough add space. If a server blows up, Best Buy has a new one on the shelf, if something needs to be changed, like hiding mailing addresses from spammers, chip can "fix" that... The software is free...

A big factor is that the list is "moderated and controlled"... 99% of the time I just forward mail... But if things do go bad, we can pull out unlimited Draconian resources to fix it...

It really does seem to be one of those Keep It Simple Stupid things... This forum seems to endure over time just fine. We have a little trouble posting pictures and movies, but we manage...

Right now, we send out the mail just fine given the bandwidth. If all 1500 of us had to pull a full complex web page off the server, the bandwidth would be gone... All the servers are sitting in our homes connected via DSL... Hot-streamer can get easily clogged if something cool gets posted there... We could go to outside high bandwidth providers, but if something goes wrong here, we can pull the hardware in minutes... Far easier, faster, and cheaper than having it FedExed back for repair...

Maybe some new big deal web thing will come along and wipe us out overnight... But it has not happened yet, and we do not feel the urge to really change at all... So unless we get slaughtered by an I-PodCast or something, we will not change. Mail list servers were here before all of them. and we might still be around after they are all gone too ;-))

There is a giant advantage in having it all run locally just by us... When NetowrkSolutions was getting goofy about POing the net, I went to a meeting about what would happen if the net lost (or wished to get ride off) nameserver services controlled by NS. It was like a laugh feast since most of use could do our own NS and reprogram all the important stuff over locally in a day... We could then combine and share our lists... But there were many established alternatives we could go to directly... Now suppose Yahoo or 4HV is taken over by space aliens... it is "just gone"... Chip and I could get wiped out by a meteor hit.... But I bet many of you could replace the Tesla list in a day or so... list servers is just another "stupid trick" on my Sun server... You set it up and enable it, in minutes...

So bottom line is, we run a pretty tough to beat show ;o)) And you all seem to get along with it fine even if it is real "low tech"... Ideally, it would be a set and forget list serve like my local family one were I forget it is even there... But all things considered, maintenance is pretty low...

So I hope you all like it, "I" do :-)))

Cheers,

        Terry