Re: MOT Caps DC Limit

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ted,

I'm looking to build a MMOC (Multiple Microwave Oven Capacitor). Here is a useful site vie found: -

http://www.capacitorindustries.com/PFC/microwave.htm

Some coilers recommend removing the solder oil seal to allow for pressure equalisation during in heating, and placing the whole capacitor string in a oil tub.

Today I'm going to perform some experiments (outside!) to see what a string of 10 x1.3uF MO capacitors can withstand.

1st NST short circuit across string, measure temp rise of capacitor case.

2nd RSG 100BPS, small inductance, measure temp rise.

Thanks

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 6:29 AM Subject: MOT Caps DC Limit

Original poster: tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Team
I'm looking to use MOT caps rated around 2300v AC as DC filter caps for a DC
based coil.
You would not believe how hard it is to find  HV caps in NZ of 3uF to 6uF
10kv wkg. 5 Yrs ago a glut as old high power TV and MF xmitters changed to
SS. Mostly dumped or sent back to mfr ( due pcb's)

One that I have notes its Test Voltage was 10kv.

Has anybody experience with just how far I can take a MOT cap in DC filter
service. My guess is about 6kV DC for short period (1 min or so) is probably
OK

FWIW The system is to be 3 MOTS per side rectified for Plus and minus 8kV
into 50 Hy or so and ASRSG up to 200bps with 90nF of Tank Cap
Tnx
Ted L in NZ