Re: Holes in the secondary

Hi Tim,

All my secondaries have steel screws through them for terminal connections. I have never arced inside a secondary. Sometimes the raw screw end will corona and arc a bit to the outside. Having said that, if the coil is really under a lot of voltage stress it "might" arc over. I think a nylon screw would be fine. I have done that for a solid state coil where the primary to secondary clearance was small and the nylon screws worked fine.

If one looks at the field stresses:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DRSSTC-1000-01.gif

The inside of the coil is pretty tame. But do use small say #4 or #6 screws with round heads and all just to avoid pointy edges sticking out.

Cheers,

        Terry