Re: Holes in the secondary

Hi Tim,

I use clear quick-set epoxy to fill the hole and hold the wire (when needed). I personally have not had a problem with it. But, some have and it's generally accepted as a "potential" for problems. Pun intended ;-) .

Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Tim,

Let me repost this since I screwed up an edit  :-((.

You're going to get a wide spread of opinions on this and a lot depends on how hard you push you secondary. I have two holes in my acrylic form (8x36 winding). At the bottom, I did just what you are suggesting and used a nylon screw to terminate the wiring. At the top, I ran the wire into the center and up to a termination bolt on the end cap. I put an 1/2 inch acrylic bulkhead about four inches below the top turn to keep arcs from going down the tube. I only used one bulkhead so as to not trap outgassing. I also made sure the wire inside the form did not droop below the top turn trying to keep the wire out of high field stress areas. Lastly, I had a corona ring two inches above the top turn so the internal routing should be surrounded by equal potential fields. Anyway, I have achieved 74 inch power arc with no problems with the secondary yet.

Gerry R.