Re: 7.1Hz, how the heck did Tesla succeed?

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

But this brings up a big issue.  If Tesla accomplished it, HOW DID HE DO
IT?

He didn't.

There is no evidence that he ever got the earth to resonate using his equipment. He just used a receiver to measure propagation of impulses from lightning strikes, the same way as we measure the Schumann resonance today.

I have read most of what Tesla wrote on wireless power transmission and it's still a mystery to me how he thought he was going to do it.

>Just observing what happens when a big TC is operated *near* an operating >X-ray tube would be interesting.

In Craggs and Meek's "High Voltage Laboratory Technique" there are descriptions of a few different kinds of X-ray machines driven by Tesla coils and using the tube itself to rectify the output.

One impressive setup put out over 1MV peak at an incredibly low 180Hz. The air-cored secondary coil had a huge number of turns arranged in 125 stacked pies, and the whole system was enclosed in a steel vessel full of pressurised freon, with a thin laminated steel inner shell. The primary was series resonated by a big capacitor and driven by a 180Hz alternator. It put about 2kW out to the X-ray tube, weighed 1500lbs, and seemed to be about 30% efficient as far as I could tell from the text.

Steve Conner