Re: Maximum MOT`s power for long, reliable operation and life - how much is it?

Hi,

MOTs always start to saturate below their rated voltage. I am not sure why, but it must have some good reason for its true us in microwave ovens. We just use them anyway

Cheers,

        Terry

At 02:49 PM 7/10/2005, you wrote:
hello all :-)
sorry for my bad english first (at present and in future) - i am
russian - siberian bear :-)

>Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Class 220 ;) So the wire should stand up to 220 deg.C.
>I looked again at my "Class 200" MOT. It has a thermal cutout switch
>in a plastic holder clamped to the secondary coil, that as far as I
>can tell opens at 140 deg.C. So there is another data point...

class 220 mean 2200v secondary, class 200 mean 2000v secondary - this
is NOT that "class" what we (i and Grishka) was asking about :-P
we ask about "thermal" class, NOT voltage, and on my mot there is NO
any "class" writings at all as you can see:
http://www.ios.ru/~dest/1/12.JPG

i had conducted some measurements of primary current vs primary
voltage on my mot - it`s seems that this piece of sh#t can`t be used
with more than 180v on primary side:
http://cis.ru/~dest/mot1.GIF

and i had measured total loss (iron+copper) with no load:
170v - 25w
215v - 50w
225v - 70w

my mot rated on 220v :-\

---
Your not coiling unless your blowing capacitors! Then when you get things worked
out to where the capacitors stop blowing, you start blowing transformers.
(c) Richard Quick 11-03-93 20:42