Re: Repairing NST's do not use solvent

Original poster: gary350@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do NOT put the NST's in any solvent. Put them in your kitchen oven for about at hour at 200 deg. Check to see if the tar has melted the olded the tar is the higher the temperature needs to be to make it melt. Turn the heat up about 25 degrees every 30 minutes until the tar melts. If you do not over heat the tar it will not smoke or make a bad smell in the house.

When the tar melts you have 3 choices.

One choice is to shake the NST back and forth a few times to stir the old tar around and then let it cool. 99% of the time this will fix the problem. Once the NST arcs through the old tar is makes a carbon track in the tar that will arc again that is why they stop working. Once you get rid of the bad place in the tar it will work fine again.

The second choice is pour out the hot tar and mix it with about 40% high voltage transformer oil and then pour it back into the NST case. This makes the NST much stronger than before.

Third choice it to remove the NST from the case, remove some shunts, put the transformer in a contrainer of HV oil and it is then almost indistructable. I usually remove enough shunts on my NST's to double the power output the HV oil acts like a cooling system and they work fine.

Gary Weaver

-----Original Message----- From: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Jul 6, 2005 8:23 PM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Repairing NST's

Original poster: "Mike Knowlton" <amdx@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have 4 nonworking NST's that I would like to repair.
3 - 12kv @ 30ma and a 9kv @ 30ma

What is the best solvent to use to disolve the tar?

I'm thinking about putting them all in a bucket and
letting them soak for a few days. (weeks?)

                                               Mike