RE: Terry's Test - Two Manifestations of Charge

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Malcolm,

>> The tube and plate are acting like a capacitor.
>> That makes sense.  But wouldn't the capacitor act as
>> a transformer and reduce the potential in order to
>> increase the  current?  In other words, the thinner spark
>> would be higher  potential, lower current.  The thicker and
>> brighter spark would  be lower potential, higher current.
>> The total power in each  spark would be the same, correct?
>

> All that I have learned through experimentation and
> measurement says a loud "no" to your last question. Spark
> brightness is dependent on current and spark channel
> resistance drops in a non-linear fashion as current increases
> which means you cannot treat power in a spark channel as you
> would in a (for want of a better term) linear resistance. The
> strike distance is a function of voltage in the situation you
> are looking at. If the distances for the two sparks are the
> same and one spark is brighter than the other, which would
> you say is dissipating the most power?

You are asking me to prove a hypothesis with another hypothesis.

You mentioned that you have performed this type of experiment and made measurements in the past. Could I trouble you to show the data and experiment parameters?

It would be a shame to spend three years developing a new physics
to quantify the phenomenon, and then not try to prove the theory
right or wrong with real data.  Don't you think?  I need to
remind you, I'm not asking you to prove or disprove my theory,
I'm simply trying an experiment and asking for independent data.

But just to set things right, the logic for my statement above is
simple.  The capacitor is storing charge and then releasing it in
larger, but less frequent breaks.   That's what a capacitor does.
In my system of physics, increasing the capacitance also
decreases the potential.

So what should I do?  Should I trust your logic and just walk
away from my work, trust my logic and blindly state I'm correct,
or acquire solid data and solve the problem?

Dave