Re: M&M experiment - was Terry's Test - Two Manifestations of Charge

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 7/5/05 9:01:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> > It is sort of a neat way to demonstrate field effects....
> > But I really honestly see zero "new" theory to any of it :-|
>
>That's true. The "new" theory I am talking about is really the
>old Aether theory, but based upon modern measurements.

Didn't Michelson and Morley disprove the aether theory pretty thoroughly?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson-Morley_experiment

Hi Mark,

Actually, the M&M experiment didn't disprove the aether theory. It just showed that the aether didn't have detectable physical properties. It remained for Einstein et.al. to give an interpretation of those results that showed that the aether was an unnecessary complication in the explanation of the physical universe. Like the existence of a deity, the fact that it is physically undetectable and totally unnecessary to physical theory is NOT a proof of non-existence, just proof of irrelevance to physical science.

It is this irrelevance that allows mainstream science to go forward and believers in aethers and deities to stay comfortable in their perceptions of, and beliefs about, the universe.

Matt D.