Re: MOT with chopped off primary -- Anyone tried this before?

Original poster: "Wilson Ng" <metalstorm2002@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Actually I'm winding less turns on the primary. I use a US MOT and I guess it originally had around 150-250 turns. The huge number of turns on the original primary didn't work with my 600w dimmer/10 mf cap setup, so I had to rewind it. Why does a few number of turns make my transformer ineffective? I've read somewhere that a transformer requires a minimum of x turns per volt. If I were to apply very low voltage AC to the filament winding, then it would be okay. This rule probably only applies to iron core transformers.

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: MOT with chopped off primary -- Anyone tried this before?
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 14:57:45 -0600

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm sorry but I don't understand whether you are winding more or less turns on the primary. You just say that you wound 30 turns. Also, why would too few turns make the transformer ineffective. Can you explain, please? One other thing, are you using a MOT designed for 240 volts, like in the UK or 120 volts, like in the US? Regards.
Paul
Think Positive