Re: Terry's Test - Two Manifestations of Charge

Hi,

I did not mean to cause confusion...

Kirchhoff's current law is a very simplified version of Gauss's law and the conservation of charge in the DC case. I was just trying to keep it simple so the basic effect could be understood by All.

But as I stated before, the bright current going from the tube tip to the grounded wire is the sum of the current from the toroid to the tip and the current being picked up along the tube due to displacement currents.

To be rigorous, the sum of the currents could be a little unequal as the charge on the tip changes. The charge could vary some on the tip and thus the current sum could vary a little bit via Gausses law...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Kirchhoff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%27s_law

Kirchhoff's circuit laws: This is a pair of rules (common in electrical engineering) to analyze electric circuits, which can be derived from Maxwell's equations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%27s_equations

Of course, common electrical engineering courses can be found on-line here:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/index.htm#Undergraduate

6.002  Circuits and Electronics, Fall 2000

6.630  Electromagnetic Theory, Fall 2002

Cheers,

        Terry