Re: Two Manifestations of Charge

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ed,
        I did this a long time ago so the details are a bit hazy but
I'll do my best:

On 4 Jul 2005, at 9:29, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> "Hi Dave,
>            Although I haven't replicated your particular setup, for
>            the
> fun of it I once replicated a coil described by Tesla in his lecture
> to the EE Society of NY (I think it was - I have the book at home)."
>
>  How well did the coil perform?  I've always been intrigued by it and
> have thought (not too seriously) of replicating it.  What did you use
> in the primary circuit and what HV supply did you use?
>
> Ed

Efficiency-wise in terms of long sparks it was pretty useless
compared with what we're used to ;). I don't remember the cap size
but it was chosen to resonate the primary with the secondary at the
secondary's strongest resonance (there were quite a few resonances as
I recall and they were nowhere as weak as one finds in a helical
resonator - i.e. the Q was abysmal). I used both a flyback cap
charger and later a small NST to power it. It was really interesting
but nothing more than a curiosity. The project was shelved after the
containment tank developed oil leaks. I still have the dried-out coil
sitting on a shelf in the garage.

Malcolm