Re: Test Coil, RCD not happy

Hi Chris,

Is your RCD in the NST or breaker box. I run a 1KW coil off of a 20 amp GFI (for the back porch) and the only problem is the in-rush current for the variac. I leave the variac plugged in and set at 0V output and go and reset the breaker and then everything is OK. The operation of the TC doesn't seem to affect the breaker, but then again Im grounding the NST chassis to RF ground. I currently have no line filter.

If your RCD in in the NST, you may need to defeat it. Also, NST's with reactive loads can source more than their short circuit output current (especially with a SRSG) at rated input.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Chris Rutherford" <chris1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

Is 10% out of tune enough to trip a 30ma RCD? I have a good RF earth using 4 copper pipes, but I do have a long earth cable (10 meters) measuring approx 1 ohm. Is this OK? Any ideas how to stop my RCD from firing?

Thanks

Chris

->An RCD circuit breaker is the same idea as a GFI circuit breaker<-