Re: Salt Cap

At 07:17 AM 7/3/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Adam Britt <beans45601@xxxxxxxxx>

let me just say, do not build a salt cap.

Sure, now, it seems like a good idea, and you will save tons of money,
but 2 years from now when you need to get rid of it, you will have to
seperate the salt water from the oil and take if to your local shop to
despose of it and it will be a huge mess.

I think you're overestimating the disposal problem. First off, it's mineral oil, not some sort of horrible carcinogen (like used motor oil or transformer oil), so I suspect you could just dump it down the drain with no real problem. Used bacon grease from your morning eggs and bacon would be worse.

The salt water is hardly a problem either.

However, if you're really concerned, then don't bother separating. Take it to a used motor oil disposal place and dump away. They're not going to worry about some water mixed in with the oil, or the salt. Do NOT tell them it's from a HV capacitor though, because they won't understand that you built it from scratch and hearing it's from HV electrical equipment triggers all sorts of PCB fears. For instance, if you put a WARNING! 20,000 Volts! sign on your plastic bucket, that would NOT be the best thing to take down to the recycle place.

You could attempt to separate them, and dry the salt out, but somehow, it seems overkill.

I just went through this. Please please do not build this.

Just build a MMC bank. It will be worth it. And if you ever quit
coiling, you can sell them again.

Can't beat a saltwater cap for cost, though. An MMC's going to set you back $20-30 for the caps.

-Adam