Re: Two Manifestations of Charge

Hi Dave,

For the picture at:

http://www.tesla-coil-builder.com/images/chiron01twosparks.jpg

I think the copper ball is the HV top terminal of your flat coil, there is a ground wire about three inches higher and the end of the florescent tube is between them.

Your hand appears to be a ground point as well but there is glow on the other side of the tube as is common with hand held tubes...

The question is why does the top spark appear to flow more current than the lower spark.

The problem is we don't know the voltages of the tube end. Since the tube has significant voltage across it, it would appear that the voltage at the end of the tube is near that of the copper ball, but both of them are at a far higher voltage than the ground wire.

In this situation, a significant current flow would be going from the shaft of the tube to the coil too (our old pal, displacement current).

So the current in the bright spark goes to both the smaller sparks to the copper ball and to the coil from the shaft of the tube through capacitive coupling. The wire is also a sharp point with one arc where the ball is spreading the arcs over a wide area.

You need to eliminate all the odd stray currents that the long tube is causing! Styrofoam would be a good replacement since it is very non conductive and has a dielectric constant nearing 1. You could still use a metal tip (from a broken tube) at the end of a foam rod now so that part could stay the same. You should also use a tiny wire on the copper ball so that arcs are from a point like the ground wire.

If these changes are made, I think both the top and the bottom are will be the same.

Cheers,

        Terry

At 07:31 PM 7/2/2005, you wrote:
> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> >In between the spherical top load and sharp pointed ground
contact, I
> >placed the butt of a fluorescent tube.  When the coil fired
up, there
> >was a thick white spark from the ground to the tube and a thin
purple
> >spark at the same time between the sphere and the tube.
>
> Was either end of the secondary coil connected to another
> grounding point (water pipe, green wire of AC outlet,
> whatever)?

Yes, the secondary and primary ground were both connected to
Earth ground, which is a 3/8" aluminum cable leading to a copper
cage 17 feet deep in my cistern.

Have you tried to produce the two distinct types of charge on
your coils?  I would think this is a good project for Tesla
coilers.  We spend big bucks honing in on length, but how much do
we know about charge quality?  What exact conditions produce
thick white sparks as opposed to thin purple sparks?  And why can
these two separate manifestations exist in the same coil and in
the same gap between the ground and top load?

As I pointed out in another reply, I have also built a stand for
the tube out of PVC plastic, with no ground to the tube.  The
same phenomenon results.

Dave