Re: Who Let the Dogs Out? - Don't worry, they won't go far...

Hi Stork,

At 01:42 PM 7/2/2005, you wrote:
My grandson's favorite song is "Who Let the Dogs Out?" Woof! Woof! I see humorous similarities in this recent thread. I hope others do also. So, no offense intended. My posts were designed to elicit response. From past experience posters responded predictably. The cadre of folks who are self appointed defenders of the "True and Everlasting Science" have circled the wagons. This is how science has progressed over the centuries and this board is no exception. So we have to accept these folks and realize this is just in their personality make up and they are really incapable of change. Conservatism is often a very good thing, but as in everything else, change no matter how incremental must happen. Unfortunately the quote, "Physics advances one funeral at a time.", while humorous, contains a lot of truth. So, peace to all.

I remember Pons and Fleischmann. Their great discovery of cold fusion changed and the world in hours!!! You remember all the big news stories!! Physists were sitting there late that night in their own labs trying it!!! There were a few traditional "old timers" that thought their work was BS...

Unfortunately...

"This experiment has been re-created many times since then, however the results have not been duplicated to the point where the claims of Pons and Fleischmann could be validated. A large part of the scientific community maintains that the experiments were not well documented or well designed, and that the results themselves are in serious doubt. The reputations of Pons and Fleischmann suffered greatly as a result, and little has been heard from them since."

Having said all that I will offer the following remarks to those who quietly follow the list along and newbies. I am delighted many spoke up and agreed to allow others to speak of their experiments and theories. Folks like Terry, Steve Conor, Malcolm, Jim Lux and several others who are active innovators try to maintain balance and are much appreciated.

It's getting to be a problem since folks "use" those opportunities to express veiws on subjects that are not on-topic... In some cases, it seems like were are the only group that will listen...

In the fierceness of debate the original premises are often forgotten. The impossibility of experimentally detecting and measuring a mythical physical electromagnetic concept, "Displacement Current", cast no dispersion on Maxwell, the original proponent. But, was merely a wake up call to those who hold Maxwell's equations inviolable and who judge others work by those same theories to be extremely careful in their judgments of the work and theories of others. For at least one of Maxwell's equations, as abridged by Heavyside and Hertz, is wrong.

Maxwell's original eighteen or so equations were in quartenon calculus.
These original equations were abridged to the vector calculus "Maxwell" equations we use today. This streamlining eliminated scalar and other mathematical terms such as the vector potential from Maxwell's original equations.

I should point out the Maxwell mostly collected the equations from the work of many other scientist. He mostly collected them in one place. If we discard "Maxwell's" equations, we are actually discarding the work of many great scientists...

So to answer a recent posters question of whether the changing of Maxwell's equations makes a difference, the answer is HELL YES, a big difference. The vector potential is the big difference. The vector potential was originally felt to be a mathematical entity only and of no real relavance. But, low and behold, it's discovered to be a huge physical entity. I know it makes Paul very nervous when Tesla coilers start talking Aharonov-Bohm, but we must. At least on the magnetic side, AB is experimentally proven now beyond a reasonable doubt. And, guess what? The vector potential is proven to be a real physical entity rather than just a mathematical curiosity.

These are nice things, known for many years. They do not have anything to do with Tesla coils... I think Maxwell's equations are filled with enough potential field vectors (vector potentials) right now :-))

So what, the vector potential is a physical entity. Well it just so happens that the vector potential is also the entity that is responsible for electron-electron energy exchange in all quantum mechanical events. It all happens in Minkoski's 3D 1T and is not supra luminal. (Whew, that should relieve a few of you.) Magnetic or electric fields are not independent physical things residing in space. One on one coherent QM particle exchanges are physically all that occur.

So what, we just want to make TCs and big sparks. Well we have some pretty smart people on this list. So in a few years Terry and some of the other coil builders will start to say, "You know, if we add some QM, vector potentials and scalars into our models we can easily hit 200 feet point to point!" Is it really possible someone on the list could receive a Nobel prize one day?

Quantum physics is interesting. However, it does not seem to help us make better Tesla coils...

Quiz for the day.  Who made the following comments?

"In the general theory of quantum electrodynamics, one takes the vector and scalar potentials as fundamental quantities in the set of equations that replace the Maxwell equations."

"In our sense then, the A-field is "real" ... E and B are slowly disappearing from the modern expression of physical laws; they are being replaced by A and phi."

Post your answer(s) please.

No. Don't fill our mail boxes up with 500 answers to things like this.... Figuring out that a quote was made by a Feynman and writing e-mails on the discovery is not why we are all here... I always worry when they pick "one" quote out of 100,000....

I do note that these "different science" threads always have one thing in common. They are all about "different science" and never about Tesla coils...

I think I can add a line of code for that:

if (DifferentScience != TeslaCoils) thread = 0.0;

Cheers,

        Terry

Until next time,

Stork