Re: Theory acceptance- Displacement current?

Original poster: "Mike" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

HI Ed,
            At this link
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em1/lectures/node41.html
I found something interesting, way down in the text. " then we find that the
divergence of the right-hand side is zero as a consequence of charge
conservation. The extra term is called the ``displacement current'' (this
name was invented by Maxwell). In summary, we have shown that although the
flux of the real current through a loop is not well defined, if we form the
sum of the real current and the displacement current then the flux of this
new quantity through a loop is well defined.
Of course, the displacement current is not a current at all. It is, in fact,
associated with the generation of magnetic fields by time varying electric
fields. Maxwell came up with this rather curious name because many of his
ideas regarding electric and magnetic fields" (SNIP)
I would ask then, is this not used in disk type electric watt hour meters,
that the fields in small shunted coils drive the aluminum disk, so this is
already being measured in that way? The disk being mounted, can not move
away from the shorted fields against it, so it turns (driving gears,
kilowatt hours counters) .
Of course, I could be totally wrong here, too. Thoughts?
Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 1:21 PM Subject: Re: Theory acceptance- Displacement current?