Re: MOT stack rebuild

At 11:37 AM 7/1/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Folks.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my 6MOT
stack as I wired the primary side with a too thin gauge
wire and am expecting significant losses there.

The primary side? You mean the 120VAC side? Just how small a wire did you use? Even as small as AWG20 probably would have negligible losses (it might get hot, but if you dissipated 5 Watts (which is a lot in a short length of wire), it's not much out of several kW.

So I drained the oil, but now I have two more questions:

Should I remove the shunts? I do not need more current,
but I fear  with the shunts in place I might experience
other negative effects, as lower output voltage or
increased no load current draw.
With no load it pulls around 8 amps which sounds pretty
much to me, or am I missing something?