Re: Winding technique

Original poster: "Scott Hanson" <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Wrong - there most certainly IS a 360 degree twist imparted to the wire if
it is "unspooled" from a stationary roll by drawing the wire up over the
spool flange (vs unspooling the wire by allowing the spool to rotate on a
spindle of some sort). If you can't visualize this in your head,  just look
at any spool of wire that has lengthwise printing on the jacket (household
THHN, etc). Remove a few feet of wire from a stationary spool by pulling it
off over an end flange and you'll immediately see there is one complete
"twist" of the wire for every turn removed from the spool.

With copper magnet wire larger than about #30 AWG, this "twisting" usually
poses no problem. However, with #32 AWG or smaller wire it poses a serious
problem with the wire "kinking" every chance it gets. I have personally
wound at least half a dozen secondaries using #32 or smaller wire, and I can
assure you the problem is real.

I eventually developed a technique of setting a plastic funnel over the top
flange of a stationary spool of wire (spout facing up), and feeding the wire
up through the spout and thence off to the secondary coilform. If more wire
tension if required than the weight of the funnel can provide, add a few
small chunks of modeling clay to the funnel to add weight. This, plus a
foot-pedal motor speed control, an extremely low inertia DC drive motor, and
a very sensitive slip-clutch on the secondary coilform drive allow me to
very quickly wind secondaries using very fine wire with no breakage,
kinking, or stretched wire.

Regards,
Scott Hanson