Re: Advice on Primary

Original poster: "James Robinson" <james.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

I have posted a pic of my "hole" wound primary here along with a pic of the secondary :

http://img201.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img201&image=teslaprimary9wc.jpg
http://img199.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img199&image=secondary1br.jpg

The strike rail isn't quite finished (don't panic there will be a break in it!) and needs a bit of straightening - but nearly there. The base is made from 6mm polycarbonate, with routings to hold the formers which are 3mm polythene glued in with platic glue.

The secondary is about 6" diameter for scale.

James Robinson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 12:00 AM Subject: Advice on Primary

Original poster: "Medina, Benjamin (UMR-Student)" <bamxbb@xxxxxxx>

Hello,

I know this topic has already been discussed but I am still having doubts when it comes to the winding of the copper tubing through the holes or notches of the supports. So if someone could clear this up for me that would be very much appreciated.

As of now this is what I plan on using:

1. A 50ft roll of 1/4" OD refrigeration copper tubing.
2. A 3/4" thick sheet of plywood as the base.
3. 5 supports in an L shape cut out from a cutting board I got at WAL-MART fixed to the plywood base with screws (similar to the image below).

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Medinaimage001.jpg

At first I thought of fixing the supports to the base and winding the tubing through the holes, but now I am realizing it will be a PAIN!! Therefore, should I slide in the supports, starting at the center and work my way outside, through the entire roll of tubing? Or should I start at the ends and work my way inside?

Some people prefer holes in the supports; others prefer notches. I am not sure about this. I am thinking that the notches might bend the tubing if one is not careful when doing this. Any suggestions?

Say I want 15 turns. While winding the tubing, let's say I run out of tubing on the 11th turn. Is it okay to solder another continuous piece of tubing to the original, to complete the 15 turns or not? I guess, what I am asking is if I need a continuous roll of tubing or not? Will this affect the coupling and/or the overall performance of the TC?

Another thing I noticed is the fact that the tubing is double wounded, making it even more tedious to work with it. A guy at Home Depot suggested to unroll the tubing on the floor and then wind it on/through the supports. Any suggestions?

I appreciate your time. Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Benjamin Medina
Rolla, Missouri.