RE: Ultra tiny coils!

Original poster: "Derek Woodroffe" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Steve, All,

>The transformer for this must have been tricky to make with good enough
insulation. But I
>suspect you could use a ferrite transformer salvaged from an electronic
NST, these should
>have about the right number of secondary turns.

I used a ETD39 Ferrite core, It was quite easy to wind, I wound it with 10
layers of 200T each with 5mm of insulation tape at each end of the layer and
a wrap of insulation tape between each each layer. I used something like
0.125mm wire.

I've wound a few transformers like this, with care you can get to about 5Kv
before you start to get breakdown between layers.

Cheers
Derek