RE: The "second pig" ballast: Questions.

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Steve.

Well, the core *is* in two pieces already :)  The two
spools are separatly bound with steel straps, then
bound together side-by-side with another pair of
straps.  I'd be happy with a 3-5kVA ballast to start
with, so perhaps I only need to mess with half of the
core anyway.  Unfortunately, I'm still a bit unsure as
to how I'd go about introducing an air gap without
either letting the thing fly into pieces or without
the laminations simply filling the cut as I go.

So, a quick physics lesson on why the air gap is so
critical would be interesting (at least to me).  My
mental model of an inductor is obviously
over-simplified.

On the other hand, perhaps I should *let* it fly
apart, then just use the laminations as core material
for a "sliding choke"-type ballast.  There's certainly
an abundance of good steel here...

Aaron