RE: Quench gap?

Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

When a Tesla Coil gap fires, it creates a cloud of ions which
'encourage' the spark to keep striking. This would drain more power from
the capacitors and dampen the coil output.

By using one of several means, the spark is extinguished or 'quenched'
as soon as possible so the maximum energy goes into the coil output.

Today, people either use a rotary gap or forced air.
Older designs also used axially aligned magnets but air or rotary is the
best way to go.

Dave