From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 1:41 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Capacitor Help

Original poster: "MalcolmTesla" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I wound my secondary tonight.  As I got started I realized I had no idea
how
to do it LOL.  OK I realized I needed ends on the PVC for mounting so I
cut
a piece of 1x2 trim board to fit and secured it with two little set
scews if
you will.  I then put a bolt through the center for mounting.  See here

http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/23.jpg

Now I needed some way to spin the PVC.  So I cut two pieces of metal
stock,
drilled a hole in each end and mounted it to a 2x4 piece of wood.  So
now
the PVC was suspended and could spin freely.  See here

http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/24.jpg
http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/25.jpg

At this point I was thinking about how to spin the unit.  Of course my
drill
came to mind.  Only then I realized the 7/16" bolt I used in the center
wasn't going to fit my 3/8" drill.  DOH!.  So I welded a smaller bolt to
7/16" nut.  See here

http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/22.jpg (this bolt/nut is installed
in
the pic above)

I knew I'd need both hands to feed the wire and didn't have anyone
around to
work the drill so I zip tied the trigger down real slow.  This way it
would
be consistant and the trigger wouldn't accidently be pulled hard.  It
was
actually slow enough that just by applying pressure to the pvc with my
hands
I could stop it.  As an added safety I put a power strip right there by
my
foot so I could step on the off switch if I needed too.  Oh and I put
the
spool of 27 AWG onto some round bar connected to a 4x4" block of wood so
it
could spin freely and feed nicely.
I drilled three tiny holes on each side and fed the transformer wire
through.  I then powered up the drill and started the windings.  It
actually
took less than an hour but felt like forever.  You can see two pics of
my
setup here

http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/26.jpg
http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/27.jpg

I'm sure the pros are laughing :) that's OK though.  I've never done
this
before and wasn't sure how else to do it.  I'm curious, how do the rest
of
you wind your secondarys?  Oh and that's 20" of windings on 4" diameter
PVC
with 27 AWG.

Thanks guys
Malcolm - KC