From: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>Tesla list
To: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: Build own capacators

Original poster: Ed Phillips <<mailto:evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>

As a final test I used a 0.009 microF MMC made up of mica caps (2500
VDC 0.01microF). These gave less spark length than the other types I
tried (11" vs 16")."

    How many of those 0.01 ufd capacitors did you use in series
parallel to get 0.009 ufd?  I'm surprised at your results as mica
capacitors have always worked very well here and were the norm in
high-power spark transmitters.  I use barium titanate capacitors as a
rule, because of their small size and low ESR, but they're lossy and
can't stant more than perhaps 30 second runs without puncture.  Spark
length seems as good as mica.

Ed