Re: A LUA file for BELA (a help to build electrostatic model of TC)

Hi Terry and Finn,

Thinking about getting high coupling and avoiding the corona problem, I was wondering is this calls for a low profile helical primary (either inside or outside the secondary) using flat ribbon. I've seen this construction in TC at the Denver Museum but dont know how one would curve the ribbon for that axis (unless it was cut that way). Seems like, if the profile can be kept low enough, the field stress from the secondary would be minimized.

Gerry R.

Hi DC,

They are trying to get high coupling with DRSSTCs to reduce the number of cycles and thus time it takes to bring the secondary voltage up. This helps to decrease the load on the IGBTs and gets a better LERT.

LERT is Load Energy Rise Time. The DRSSTC folks have found that there is an optimal time to energized the secondary to get the best sparks. This time is fairly fast and demands a higher coupling.

ScanTesla (the computer program) says that coupling otherwise does not matter too much and couplings like 0.13 might be just fine. But that is before this fast rise time effect is taken into account. ScanTesla can calculate LERT, but it does not really judge what is good or bad. LERT is a little to unknown right now to make "equations" but it seems to be a real important thing.

LERT might also be why coils with low surge impedance seem to do well. We really don't know right now what it all means...

Cheers,

        Terry