Re: Capacitor Help

Hi Bart,

I think it is OK? He is using Digikey 338-1175-nd caps which are the 0.1uF 2000V full foil CD caps. With a 15/30NST and a big primary coil, his primary peak current is low enough that these film caps should work fine.

It looks like he has 12 caps in series. That is 0.1uF / 12 = 0.00833uF. That should be fine for a static gap LTR system. The total voltage is 12 x 2000 = 24000 volts.

So his cap looks fine from here unless I am all confused (very possible!!).

Cheers,

        Terry

And I made my capacitor bank or MMC as I believe it's called.  I also put 10
Meg 1/2 watt resistors across each cap as suggested.
http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/20.jpg
http://www.v8-ranger.com/temp/tesla/21.jpg

The MMC looks like .05uF total if using the 0.15 CD caps. Realize that the cap bank is set at only 12kV. I hear some build their MMC's to the transformers Vp, but yours is barely at an rms rating. It may be wise to up the rating to at least Vp. My MMC is derated to 36kV which is higher than others have built their MMC's to. I kind of built it bullet proof, but others have done well just at a Vp rating. Others may have comments there.

Take care,
Bart