Re: Capacitor Help

Hi Dennis,

At 03:29 PM 12/16/2005, you wrote:
A question on this...

Terry, you mention CD 942 0.15 uF caps. If you only need to match 0.02 uF, will the proper MMC array actually retuce total capacitance using these caps so you're not dramatically LTR?

As a rule, LTR caps are always 57% larger that a resonant size cap for a given NST (static gap).

If so, what's the principle that reduces total capacitance when individual caps are higher? Thanks. Dennis Hopkintom, MA

When a capacitor is put in series with another, there total capacitance is reduced by half. See:

http://www.oz.net/~coilgun/theory/capacitors2.htm

We need about 10 caps in series to get to say 20,000 volts with ten 2,000 volt caps. Ten caps in series will have 1/10th of the capacitance but 10 times the voltage. Thus, ten caps will give 0.015uF at 20,000 volts. We picked the 2000V 0.15uF caps because their numbers just ended up working out best in the case of Tesla coils.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Cheers,

        Terry