Re: Plastics & Ceramics

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

Hey Matt...

plastics that become hot in the microwave usually contain a molecular arraingement of some type of bi-polar design, such as nylon... it actually absorbs water vapor readily. polyethelyne is one of the generic plastics pretty much impervious to water but certian oils will be absorbed by it. polypropelyne is another generic plastic used in mass packaging processes and is normally water repellent as like PE. Acetyl is one of the harder plastics and contains vapors of formaldihyde ( which is a bi-polar molecule when combined with the plastic matrix which will make it "heatable" in the microwave. And of course there are about 1100 more types of engineering plastics out there that have a myriad of different properties that would take a month to report on....

as far as the dielectric / warming coorilation ( sp?) the only one I would worry about is the use of nylon for electrical usage.... PE would be the top choice for low temp hi voltage applications....

Scot D

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
Hi All,

I have noticed that some plastics and some ceramics get hot in the microwave oven and some do not. Is there any correlation between this heating effect and and substances use as a dielectric in TC work?

Thanks,
Matt D.