Re: ScopingSSTC

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

If the GDT wires happen to be connected to the MOSFETs, and the
MOSFETS connected to your 120/240V mains, then by connecting the
grounded scope probe to the source/emitter of the device will either
connect your scope probe to neutral, or worse, to a live wire,
shorting it out!  In this case, a differential probe uses 2 high
impedance probes (no possibilty of a short) which basically supplies
your own "floating" reference point.  This is great for SSTCs where
some of the switching devices are floating around at a few hundred
volts, where you obviously cant ground reference it.

Steve W