Re: super cheap capacitance/inductance Tesla coil metering

Hi Robert,

At 07:39 AM 12/5/2005, you wrote:
Think analog...Cheep test equipment can be made. a capacitor across a
voltmeter as a load will read frequency if you use a constant amplitude
input. clamp the input with a zener and a input resistor/diode. since the
input is pulse DC only frequency can charge.  the capacitor over the
discharge of the meter . If you like parts a LM555 in the one shot mode can
produce  the DC pulses to charge the capacitor. More pulses per second
produces more average charge. or frequency indication. This is not for
digital only analog meters, but I have used it for over 50 years for rough
quick measurment.

I can make an LMC555, CD4040, 169k resistor, LED, and a cap or two for $2 that could probably hit 3% accuracy ;-)) Of course, I am thinking of folks that don't even have a meter at all.... At $2, that is cheaper than the 9V battery that runs it... But at that point, maybe a TCT tuner is a better deal:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/TCT/TCT.htm

I bought a cable and a few resistors from Radio Shack for the computer thing that costs "more"!!! ($9.00)

Maybe a very stripped down TCT on a little board tuner thing is the way to go... Most of the problem is getting the parts and wiring them up. A very cheap little "kit" would fix that...

Harbor freight has a capacitance meter available cheeper
than you can build one.

Do you have any stock numbers???? They change items all the time and I know they have had really cheap meters in the past. I checked today and they all seem rather expensive!!!

Cheers,

        Terry

   Robert   H--