Thyristors Re: 48kW DRSSTC: international names

At 06:35 AM 12/5/2005, you wrote:
Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

so what - we all must stop now saying "thyristors" and
start calling them scrs? no way! %o)))))))

I prefer thyristor too. From the ancient Greek: Thuros, a gate + istor, an electronic thing ;-) And I'm sure all list members in the US know that a thyristor and an SCR are the same thing. It's just that ACMAAFA (Americans Can Make An Acronym/Abbreviation For Anything)

I think thyristor is a more generalized term than SCR. Isn't a triac a specialized form of thyristor? Things like GTO (Gate Turn Off) devices are also called thyristors. I suspect that there are other interesting devices (LASCRs, Quadracs, etc.) that fall in the thyristor category.

Does a thyristor have to have 4 layers? And, would it include Triac, but not backtoback SCRs in the same package?

Has anyone made a Germanium 4 layer diode with a gate?  Would that be a GCR?