Re: Capacitor voltage - AC or DC

Hi Dirk,

At 01:11 PM 8/27/2005, you wrote:
Hello all

I am building my first coil using a NST 15kv/30mA. With all the research, I have been seeing people use these MMC capacitor arrays but I have a question. Usually all these capacitors, that coilers are using are DC rated but isn't there supply voltage AC? Does this affect the capacitor?

In our particular case, we use the higher DC rating. Since we do not use our coils 8000+ hours per year, the decreased life due to high AC voltages will not matter to us.

I know from my some of my other little projects involving DC(5-12V) that reversing the polarity on a cap results in failure.

They are "polarized caps that have a definite (+) and (-). The film caps we use do not care about polarity.

http://www.hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm

Cheers,

        Terry

Thanks,