Toroid Building - Update

Hi Everyone,

As I stated earlier, I started filling in the corrigations of a 8x32 toroid using Bondo. I didn't get very far as I was getting too little coverage using bondo and the "work time" is way too short. The mixture only is usable for about 4 minutes before it gels and half of that time is taken by mixing. The sanding, although was straight forward, was taking way too long.

So... I switched to grout. Much easier to work with, no toxic fumes, long work times, and best of all, no sanding required. The grout takes several days to cure and can easily be smoothed using a wet cloth in the first 6 hours. Water actually helps the cure process and clean up is easy.

For those that only want a smooth surface, I believe, this is the way to go. The dent resistance has gotta be better than the "bare" AL duct tubing although, perhaps, not the best. For those that also want more dent resistance, I see no reason that the result can not be covered with resin, followed by a bondo fill where needed, and then taped. I plan to use grout to fill any defects and then maybe a lite sanding followed by varnish to provide a surface suitable for taping.

Gerry R.